Friday, January 7, 2011

One Pot Skillet dinner

Well, the hoppin johns and collards finally ran out at our house.  There was just a serving of hoppin johns left, so me not wanting to waste anything, decided to create a meal around that last serving.  Thankfully, it can easily be incorporated into one of my family's favorite meals- the one skillet dinner.  Start with a cast iron frying pan (really should have one of these- in my opinion, they cook the best) drizzle liberally with olive oil, then brown ground venison (from Lexington Co.) with a cut up cayenne pepper, add diced onions and/or celery, sautee briefly.  You want the veggies to still have crunch.  Then, start adding what is in season, or leftover from fridge.  In our case, butter beans, tomatoes (frozen from last season), leftover hoppin johns.  I cooked the butter beans separately with the last piece of turkey, therefore, you can use some of the broth in the skillet, and if you cook extra, you can save it to start a soup over the weekend.  I also cook a separate pot of brown rice (from GA) for the skillet dish to be placed over.  Cook extra so it can be added to your soup over the weekend.  After the meat is browned, you can add some worcestershire, black pepper, sea salt.  Then, sit down with your family and enjoy!  Oh, don't forget the hot chow-chow on top!  I will have to say that my boys were begging for seconds and asking if they could take it for lunch today!  Yeah, for eating local!    And, I must give a yeah to my hens out back- 7 eggs yesterday- go girls!!  Guess they must have gotten the memo, either start laying better or be in the pot!  They certainly stepped up to the plate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment